Why it is important to cite...
- Avoid the serious charge of plagiarism.
- By referring (or citing) the works and opinions of scholars and specialists you give credibility and authority to your own arguments (you are not just making things up).
- By citing the most important scholars or specialists in a field, you can show that you have understood and researched your topic correctly.
- Providing references allows your professors to find the sources you used to support your arguments.
- By acknowledging and engaging with the works and opinions of others, you become part of the academic conversation.